Pig Slaughterhouse

Since the handover of the Cattle Slaughterhouse in 1872, there were plans to build a pig slaughterhouse in the South part of Budapest. In 1895 a 30 hectares area had been designated for the abattoir, at Gubacsi út, approximately 1km S-E from the cattle shambles.

The buildings of the Pig Slaughterhouse were designed by architect István Mihályik, who was also supervising construction works between 1897 and 1902. The slaughterhouse complex was inaugurated on 1st May 1902. The slaughterhouse had a central court. North and South from the court were standing the abattoir and meat processing buildings, while West from the court near to Gubacsi út was the directorate building and East the water tower.

The Water Tower was part of the engineering building complex of the abattoir where boiler room, engine room, cooling houses and ice machine room was situated. The Water Tower is holding a 200 cubic metres steel tank 20 m above ground level.

Thirty years after the inauguration of the Pig Slaughterhouse a large Pig Market Hall (designed by Róbert Folly) was built on the Northern part of the estate.

In 2001 a large-scale real estate development had started, and most buildings were demolished; only the Water Tower, the Pig Market Hall and office building remained.


Copyright ©: Text and photos by Károly Teleki Industrial Heritage Hungary

Source: 1) Kísértetvágóhíd a Gubacsi úton. Tenczer Gábor (szerző). index.hu, 2014.