Cattle Slaughterhouse

In 1868 the city council decided to terminate the operation of the private slaughterhouses in Pest, and would build and supervise a public slaughterhouse.

The plans of the slaughterhouse were elaborated by the architecture firm von der Hude & Hennicke the venture of architects Hermann von der Hude and Julius Hennicke. Construction works started in spring of 1870, after the area had been filled up by 20,000 cubic metres soil. The opening ceremony of the 14-hectares complex took place on 27th July 1872.

The impressive main entrance is 28.5 m wide, and decorated by two sculptures (a bull and a buffalo) of Reinhold Begas. Opposite of the entrance can be seen the most impressive building of the slaughterhouse complex; the water tower, attached to it the trial slaughter chambers , inspection laboratories, boiler room, and the engine room, where the steam-powered pumps were operating. Inside the tower, there is a 185 cubic metres capacity tank, 18 m high above ground level.

Left and right from the entrance are situated the slaughter and cold chambers. East from the Slaughterhouse was operating the cattle market, with cattle exchange, office and community buildings, and stables.


Copyright ©: Text and photos by Károly Teleki Industrial Heritage Hungary

Source: 1) Budapest műszaki útmutatója 1896 (reprint). Edvi Illés Aladár (szerkesztő). TERC Kft., 2005. 2) Technikai fejlődésünk története 1867-1927. Magyar Mérnök- és Építész-Egylet, Stádium Rt., 1928.