Industrial Heritage Warehouse Caught Fire …

… in Budapest in the morning hours 07-03-2018 (posted 07 March, 2018)

Today (7th March 2018) morning the warehouse building of the industrial monument Concordia Mill caught fire. Concordia Mill was built in 1866 and was the first of the five steam mills on Soroksári út, in Ferencváros.

Thirteen fire engines and 45 firefighters were working to extinguish the fire. Since the warehouse was in an office and residential area and very close to Zwack distillery firemen were fighting bravely to put out the fire.

Concordia Mill Fire pic

It’s worth to mention that in its history the mill had burnt down 3 times (in 1892, 1902 and 1923). You find here more pictures on the fire.

Open Days of EU Developments 2018…

… between 1-31 March all over Hungary (posted 2 March, 2018)

Open Days of EU Developments will take place between 1-31 March in Hungary. On these open days several castles, visitor centres, spa complexes, museums, thematic parks all over the country offer programs and guided visits, many times for free or at discounted price.
Those venues participate in the program which were developed with the aid of EU funds.

Two noteworthy brownfield rehabilitation projects are also among the venues: the National Film History Theme Park (Fúvógépház) together with Digital Power Plant in Ózd and the Reptár Aviation Museum in Szolnok.

Blowing Engine House pic

Digital Power Plant Outside pic

Digital Power Plant Inside pic

Indóház pic

Reptár Museum pic

The official page of the Open Days of EU Developments is here.

World Water Day 22th March, 2017…

… excellent opportunity to see the Kőbánya Water Reservoir (posted 22 March, 2017)

In 1993, the United Nations General Assembly officially designated March 22 as World Water Day. The day focuses attention on the importance of universal access to clean water, sanitation and hygiene facilities in developing countries. The day also focuses on advocating for the sustainable management of freshwater resources.

On the World Water Day the Budapest Waterworks opens the Kőbánya Water Reservoir for school groups and on 25th March for public. The reservoir is a masterpiece of brickworks, well worth a visit. We offer guided tour to the Kőbánya Reservoir and other heritages of water and sewage treatment on Saturday, 22 March 2017.

Kőbánya Water Reservoir pic

You can see more information and photos of the Kőbánya Water Reservoir

Ybl Pump House Renovation Started…

… and will be reopened to public in autumn 2017 (posted 24 February, 2017)

It’s hard to believe that this elegant neo-Renaissance building near to the Ybl Bazaar used to be a pump station. The pump house was designed by Miklós Ybl (architect of the Opera House, Basilica, Palace of Customs and the Ybl Bazaar). Construction works of the pump station started in 1875, pumps were put in operation in 1877, and the building was completed in 1879. The purpose of the pump station was to provide water supply for the Castle and from 1881 for the Castle District. Unfiltered water was taken out directly from the Danube and was pumped through an artificial gravel bed deposited in an underground cistern system. Pumps were driven by steam engines, and the chimney of the boiler room was hidden in a nicely decorated tower.

Ybl Pump House pic

The pumping station ceased operation in 1905 and the building was used as concert hall, ball room or banquet hall. In WW2 the pump house suffered severe damage. In 1992 the building was renovated and worked as a casino for some 15 years.

In 2016 the Ybl Pump House was acquired (for 10.5 million euros) by PADI Pallas Athéné Domus Innovationis, foundation of the Hungarian National Bank (MNB). The amazing pump station building will be renovated from 600 million Forint and will be reopened for public in autumn 2017.

Ybl Pump House Inside pic

You can see more photos at here…

Frozen Water Towers in Hungary…

…already two victims of the extreme cold (posted 27 January, 2017)

In Hungary these days we have extreme cold temperature since 6 January 2017. The daily low temperature was -8 to -15 C on several days in Budapest, and in the countryside in Tésa -28.1 C was measured on 8 January.

The cold weather made at least two water towers frozen. The first water tower which froze on 14 January 2017 was in Göncruszka. The second water tower froze on 26 January 2017 in Nagykanizsa.

Göncruszka Water Tower pic

Frozen Water Tower in Göncruszka - picture by Zoltán Máthé

Nagykanizsa Water Tower pic

Frozen Water Tower in Nagykanizsa - picture by György Varga

In the Spotlight

Gödöllő Royal Waiting Room

... in the Spotlight in 02/2018 (posted:24/02/2018)

The 68 km long section of Pest-Hatvan railway started operation on 2 April 1867. Soon the Austro-Hungarian Compromise of 1867 signed by Emperor Franz Joseph and Ferenc Deák was ratified by the restored Diet of Hungary on 29 May 1867. On June 8th, 1867, Emperor Franz Joseph and Empress Elisabeth were crowned king and queen of Hungary.

As a coronation gift, the royal couple were given the Baroque palace of Gödöllö (also known as Grassalkovich Palace. After the male side of the Grassalkovich family died out in 1841, the palace had several owners, and in 1867 it was bought for the coronation.). The decision of parliament designated the palace the resting residence of the King of Hungary. This state lasted until 1918. It was Queen Elisabeth (1837–1898) who specially loved staying in Gödöllő, and Franz Joseph spent with her several weeks in spring and autumn in Gödöllő.

Since the beginning it was a problem for the royal couple the waiting at the railway station, since the waiting room at the station “was small, dirty and had frowsty smell”. So, in 1868 a temporary Tyrol style wooden pavilion was built for the royal couple. In 1882 a new Royal Waiting Room was built in Neo-Renaissance style. Though the building was only one storey, its height was equal to the height of the enlarged two-storey public railway station. Franz Joseph’s waiting room was decorated with green silk wallpaper and Queen Elisabeth’s waiting room was covered with light yellow silk. Both rooms were opening to the Princely Waiting Room with dark red tapestry.

Gödöllő Royal Waiting Room pic

After the death of Sisi in1898, (when she was stabbed to death in Geneva by an Italian anarchist named Luigi Lucheni), Franz Joseph had visited the Gödöllő only a few times. The king was in the Royal Palace last time in 1911.

Between the two world wars Regent Miklós Horthy used the Royal Waiting Hall. Near to the end of WWII, retreating German army exploded the Gödöllő railway station and set fire the coal stock in the basement of the Royal Waiting Hall. The Royal Waiting Room was burnt down, only the walls remained safe. In 1945 a flat roof was built on the walls and the building served as a ticket office and waiting room for public.

In 2011 the Royal Waiting Room was reconstructed with the subsidy of Norway Grant based on the original plans from 1882. The renovation received ICOMOS award. Now the building works as a museum and an event hall for weddings, conferences, chamber concerts.

See more photos here...