Shelter in Tamariska Hill

On the 60th anniversary of the Hungarian Revolution of 1956, the shelter under the Tamariska Hill was opened for public, as a memorial place and museum of the 1956 Uprising (1956 Büszkeségpont – 1956 Pridepoint). Tamariska Hill is a sand hill and nature reserve area in the 21st district of Budapest (Csepel district) with notable sand grass vegetation and bird habitat.

It is unsure, when the shelter was built and for what purpose in Tamariska Hill, because it is situated in a garden suburb, far from the Csepel Iron and Metal Works or from military objects. (Some people also questions, whether it was built for a purpose of a shelter). According to research, there was already a facility on the hill near to the end of WWII, which could serve as an air-raid shelter, but the current shelter system was likely built in the early 1950-es during the Cold War. It is underpinned by the architecture: older section of the shelter is made of brick and mortar, while the bigger, newer part by steel reinforced concrete.

In November 1956 it served as a shelter for local citizens, when the Soviet armoured units invaded to Csepel district. Fighting in Budapest consisted of between ten and fifteen thousand resistance fighters, with the heaviest fighting occurring in the working-class stronghold of Csepel.

It is unknown, for what purpose the bunker in Tamariska Hill was used after the 1956 Hungarian Uprising, some locals say it was utilised as a military warehouse. For decades it was abandoned and used by gangs and homeless people or completely closed down. It’s good, that at least part of it was restored and reopened as a memorial place and museum of the 1956 Hungarian Uprising.


Gallery


Copyright ©: Text and photos by Károly Teleki Industrial Heritage Hungary

Source: 1) Posters of the exhibition of Tamariska Shelter, Csepeli Városkép Kft