Orfű Mills

The first written mention of the Orfű watermill is from 1696, however it is likely that watermills were operating on the Vízfő stream hundred years before. The current building of the Orfű watermill was built in 1864 based on the plans of Károly Schaff. Its last owner was Henrik Nicsinger, an ethnic German, who was expelled from Hungary after World War II, and the mill was nationalised.

The building deteriorated and the milling equipments disappeared. In the 1970's the Janus Pannonius Museum restored the building and machinery and the mill was operating as a museum until 1994. Between 1994 and 2001 complete restoration (building, overshot wheel, equipment, ditches and sluices) of the mill took place and now the mill is fully operable, producing bio wheat flour.

Near to the watermill, a reconstructed building of a dry mill stands. The original dry mill in Mekényes was working from the beginning of the 19th century till 1946, when its last owner died. Based on drawings from 1960, the building was reconstructed in 1974 in Orfű. Later, the renovated horse-driven dry mill equipment, as well as an oil press was relocated to the building.


Gallery


Copyright ©: Text and photos by Károly Teleki Industrial Heritage Hungary

Source: 1) Orfűi Malommúzeum. malommuzeum.hu, 2015.