Hungária Mill

Hungária Mill was built in 1893 and started its operation with 100 workers. It was the 18th steam mill of the 19 mills in Budapest, and the last one built in Ferencváros (in Ferencváros 5 mills were working on Soroksári út).The factory was producing pearl barley and hulled millet, so it was not a direct competitor for the other mills grinding wheat.

The Hungária mill set fire in 1909 and burnt down the first time, and also during World War II when the area was heavily bombed. The Hungária Mill received its current profile during the reconstruction after the war. In 1948 the mill was nationalised and continued the milling operation until 1963. Then, its buildings were utilised for warehousing, manufacturing and office purposes. Currently its main function is office use, however some warehousing and workshop activities still exist within the complex.


Gallery


Copyright ©: Text and photos by Károly Teleki Industrial Heritage Hungary

Source: 1) Budapest műszaki útmutatója 1896 (reprint). Edvi Illés Aladár (szerkesztő). TERC Kft., 2005. 2) Technikai fejlődésünk története 1867-1927. Magyar Mérnök- és Építész-Egylet, Stádium Rt., 1928. 3) Gőzmalmok a Duna partján. Klement Judit (szerző). Holnap Kiadó, 2010.