Concordia Mill

The Concordia Mill was built in 1866 and was the first of the five steam mills on Soroksári út, in Ferencváros. With its yearly 84,000 ton grinding capacity, it had the biggest capacity among the mills in Budapest in the 1870s. Around the Millennium (1896) more than 350 people were working in the mill producing wheat flour, bran and semolina.

The mill had burnt down 3 times (in 1892, 1902 and 1923) during its operation which terminated in 1939. Then it was turned to public warehouse. After World War II in the communist era the major mills including Concordia Mill were nationalised in 1948.

Currently the 5-storey building is being transformed to office block and is used by the Agricultural and Rural Development Agency. The building also accommodates the Museum of Milling Industry which is a significant specialty museum of the milling technology. The museum is closed indefinitely for unknown reasons, so it cannot be visited now.


Gallery


Copyright ©: Text and photos by Károly Teleki Industrial Heritage Hungary

Source: 1) Budapest műszaki útmutatója 1896 (reprint). Edvi Illés Aladár (szerkesztő). TERC Kft., 2005. 2) Technikai fejlődésünk története 1867-1927. Magyar Mérnök- és Építész-Egylet, Stádium Rt., 1928. 3) Gőzmalmok a Duna partján. Szerző: Klement Judit. Holnap Kiadó, 2010.