Central Market Hall

As part of the health and food safety reform started in the 1870s with the building of the Cattle Slaughterhouse, in the 1890s the city council decided to build market halls to substitute open-air markets. The council decided to build 7 market halls in Budapest, of which 6 were built around and after the Millennium (1896) and all six are still in use.

The Central Market Hall was designed by Samu Pecz in 1893 and constructions works started in mid-1894. The Central Market Hall was due to open in July 1896, but its roof structure had burned down ten days before the deadline, thus the market hall was officially opened on 15th February 1897, together with other four market halls.

The area of the steel structure brick-facade market hall was 10,400 square metres. The ornamental ceramic roof tiles were delivered by Zsolnay Porcelain Manufacture, the steel structure is the work of Ignác Schlick.


Gallery


Copyright ©: Text and photos by Károly Teleki Industrial Heritage Hungary

Source: 1) Budapest műszaki útmutatója 1896 (reprint). Edvi Illés Aladár (szerkesztő). TERC Kft., 2005. 2) Technikai fejlődésünk története 1867-1927. Magyar Mérnök- és Építész-Egylet, Stádium Rt., 1928. 3) A Visegrádi Négyek országainak technikai műemlékei. Informacni Centrum CKAIT, 2000 (ISBN 80-86364-06-02)