Tamariska Shelter was opened for public…
…as a memorial place and museum of the 1956 Uprising (posted 24 October, 2016)
On the 60th anniversary of the Hungarian Revolution of 1956, the shelter under the Tamariska Hill was opened for public, as a memorial place and museum of the 1956 Uprising (1956 Büszkeségpont – 1956 Pridepoint). Tamariska Hill is a sand hill and nature reserve area in the 21st district of Budapest (Csepel district) with notable sand grass vegetation and bird habitat.
It is unsure, when the shelter was built and for what purpose in Tamariska Hill, because it is situated in a garden suburb, far from the Csepel Iron and Metal Works or from military objects. (Some people also questions, whether it was built for a purpose of a shelter). According to research, there was already a facility on the hill near to the end of WWII, which could serve as an air-raid shelter, but the current shelter system was likely built in the early 1950-es during the Cold War. It is underpinned by the architecture: older section of the shelter is made of brick and mortar, while the bigger, newer part by steel reinforced concrete.
In November 1956 it served as a shelter for local citizens, when the Soviet armoured units invaded to Csepel district. Fighting in Budapest consisted of between ten and fifteen thousand resistance fighters, with the heaviest fighting occurring in the working-class stronghold of Csepel.
It is unknown, for what purpose the bunker in Tamariska Hill was used after the 1956 Hungarian Uprising, some locals say it was utilised as a military warehouse. For decades it was abandoned and used by gangs and homeless people or completely closed down. It’s good, that at least part of it was restored and reopened as a memorial place and museum of the 1956 Hungarian Uprising. See more pictures here
European Heritage Days in Hungary…
… will be held on 17-18 September, 2016 (posted 12 September, 2016)
European Heritage Days (Kulturális Örökség Napjai) will be on 17-18 September, 2016 (SAT-SUN). In Hungary some 300 heritage sites, buildings, museums can be visited, including dozens of industrial heritage facilities. Though most of the guided tours are available in Hungarian only, there are some tours in English as well. You can find English tours and programs here.
In Budapest, the industrial heritage tours will conducted in Hungarian language. We provide transport to heritage sites and translation. Places are open to visit: Foundry Museum, Underground Museum, Cogwheel Railways, BKV Ferenc Transformer, MAVIR Control Room, Kőbány Water Reservoir, Kőbánya Cellars, Lechner Competence Center (former Tobacco Factory), Martsa Stone Carver Workshop.
New Aviation Museum Opened…
… in Szolnok on 1st September 2016 (posted 2 September, 2016)
Good news for military aviation and aviation history fans, that the long awaited Reptár Aviation Museum of Szolnok was inaugurated yesterday, on 1st September 2016. The museum was built on a 6 hectares area (open air exhibition), including a 4,500 square metres covered exhibition area. The development of the museum was 100% financed from EU Funds (Regional Development Fund). The HUF 2.7 billion project included landscaping of the open-air exhibition area, building a new hangar and exhibition space, restoring the Indóház (old railway station of Szolnok) which serves now as a visitor center, restoring aircrafts and building a restoration workshop, purchasing of flight simulators and 4D cinema technology.
Nice to see, that the 170 years old industrial monument Indóház, and its adjacent buildings like the warehouse and the water house got new functions.
Besides displaying about 35 military aircraft, helicopters, and military technology equipment the Museum offers interactive programs like aircraft simulators, adventure courses, playgrounds for children or to see the work of the restoration workshop or enjoy a 4D movie.
... in the Spotlight in 10/2016 (posted:12/10/2016)
The Budapest Castle Hill Funicular (Budavári Sikló) was the second funicular in Europe transporting public in urban area. The first funicular was built in Lyon and was opened in 1862.
Five years later in 1867 Count Ödön Széchenyi presented his proposal to build a steam-engine operated funicular to the responsible offices of Budapest. Széchenyi had received the concession to build and operate the funicular for 40 years.
The initial plans of the cable railway were developed by Ödön Juraszek and construction works started in July 1868. From 1869 Henrik Wolfarth supervised the construction and he also made significant modifications of the plans (e.g. he changed the slope of the funicular likely for safety reasons). The first test run of the funicular took place on 23 October 1869 and the funicular was inaugurated on 2 March 1870.
A 30 HP steam engine operated the funicular nearly for 75 years (transporting more than 2 million passengers in 1943), when in it was severely damaged by bombs on 20 December 1944. After 42 years of shutdown, the funicular was redesigned, rebuild and was reopened for public on 4 July 1986. See more photos here...